Stratasys, one of the largest 3D printer manufacturers in the world, arrived to our studio with a brief in which they requested we design 3D printed samples for a sales kit for their new J850 printer, which is a multi-material, multi-color and multi-shore printer which can combine all of these abilities, in endless variations, in one single print.
Each of these sample prints was intended for a different industry with the purpose of showing the company’s clients the special abilities of the printer and how they can be implemented in the design process of a specific industry.
The perfume bottle, was intended for the packaging industry. It had to feature the new Stratasys VeroUltraClear material in a prominent way and also exhibit some 3d printing pazaz which go beyond the capabilities of non 3D manufacturing methods and spark the imagination of designers.
The concept of the design was to use the VeroUltraClear material as a metaphor for “air” which emphasizes its super clear quality. We imagined we are cutting a 3 dimensional cube of air and making it tangible. In order to communicate this idea, we looked for a motif that would be able to “float” in the “air”. After many options were checked it was decided to use the motif of a butterfly, which also enabled to showcase the printers super hi res capabilities of fine details.
The projects development included an exploration of multiple direction. One of these directions was of “impossible” cavities that cannot be manufactured in traditional manufacturing techniques.
Another direction we explored was ways of printing without support material. This technique allowed the printed part to be polished as it is out of the printer, without post processing.
We also experimented with other ideas which explored both the possibilities of 3d printing within the context of a bottle and experimented with the color possibilities of the printer.
The idea which we decided to further develop was an idea that uses Stratasys’s new VeroUltraClear material as a metaphor for “air” which emphasizes its super clear quality. In order to communicate this idea, we looked for a motif that would be able to seem to float in the “air”. The initial motif we used was confetti.
Later in the process we explored other alternative motifs to the confetti that would look more intentional and defined in terms of shape, and that would allow to showcase the printers super hi resolution capabilities of fine details. Eventually it was decided to use the motif of the butterfly.
Many technical test were made in order to perfect the printing orientation, colors, materials and details. In the picture are some of them : )